The Trying Times

Probably the best commentary in the world

News

reporter: Jonathan, 15.8.03

[ Comment... ]

This start as a comment in response to Dan’s post on controversy…

Society today is all about fitting in. Blending in and following the norm, so much that even Christians try and fit in with this trend. They think that if you cause a stir then it will draw attention and that’s not good. Christians seem to be happy being private Christians, worried that people will think they’re stupid for being a Christian. I know this was true for me. Right through my school years I was happy just cruising. All my friends knew I went to church, but that’s pretty much where it stopped. I think we need to realise that this trend in society to blend in with the norm is not biblical. A lot of Churches, in a genuine attempt to reach out to young people of this age, have tried blending in with contemporary culture. But this is not what we’re called to do. What we forget is Matt 5:13-14

Salt and Light
13"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.
14"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

If we blend in with the world we will have nothing to offer the world as we have become like the world. Salt makes us thirsty, If we stand apart, different from the World then we can make the world thirst for what they don’t have. Rather than us trying to offer them a lifestyle which is no different to the one they’re currently living.

I’ll come back to Dan’s topic now. Controversy for the sake of argument I don’t think is very helpful. Controversy for the sake of being salt and light in this world of darkness I think is very important.

Thanks Dan… Let’s all try and be a bit more controversial

[ Music ]

One way we can be different and stand apart form the world is by thinking about what Music we listen to. There is so much blasphemous ungodly trash on the radio these days. The thing is... there's no reason why, as Christians, we should put up with this. There's so much decent music around. If you don't know of any why not try Life FM instead of what ever else you listen to. There's heaps of different kinds of music on there. I've recently started getting a few Christian CD's as well. I refered to PFR in my last post they're awesome. My favourite CD of the moment is one I've recently aquired. It's called 'Take Two' By Ill Harmonics. Highly recommended cd. It's kinda old school rap. With Drums that sound like real drums, cool organs and the odd bit of classical guitar.... check it out

0 Comments:
Post a Comment